Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowships Program
The annual competition for the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program is a one-year Fellowship program offered to young and mid-career professionals who have a proven track record of leadership, a public service commitment, and the capacity to take full advantage of a self-defined program of independent non-degree study at a leading U.S. university. The program awards a certificate from the U.S. Government; it is not designed to deliver an advanced degree. * (see note)
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program brings accomplished professionals from designated countries around the world to the United States at a midpoint in their careers for a year of graduate-level academic course work and professional development activities. The Humphrey Program was initiated in 1978 to honor the memory and accomplishments of the late Senator and Vice President, Hubert H. Humphrey. Fellows are selected on their potential for leadership and commitment to public service.
The program provides a basis for establishing lasting ties between citizens of the United States and their professional counterparts in other countries, fostering an exchange of knowledge and mutual understanding throughout the world. Fellowships are granted competitively to professional candidates with a commitment to public service in either the public or private sector.
Interested applicants must apply to the U.S. Embassy Sarajevo. After national selection, final nominations are reviewed in the United States by independent review committees. These review committees make recommendations to the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board. Awards are normally announced by the end of February for Fellowships during the following academic year.
Application Deadline for AY 2015-2016 is August 1, 2014.
(Deadline of August 1 has been extended from previous deadline of July 14, 2014)
To be eligible for a Humphrey Fellowship, applicants must have:
- An undergraduate (first university) degree
- Minimum five years of full-time professional experience
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service in the community
- Demonstrated English language ability
- Limited or no prior experience in the U.S.
Recipients of the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Grant must return to BiH for a minimum of two years. Family members are allowed to accompany Fulbright Scholars to the United States during the Fellowship, provided that they present all required documents.
- Recent university graduates (even if they have significant positions)
- University teachers or researchers without management responsibilities (except in the fields of drug abuse prevention and TOEFL)
- Individuals with less than 5 years of work experience
- Individuals with recent U.S. experience (more than 6 months within the last 5 years)
- Individuals who have attended undergraduate or graduate school in the U.S. for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to November 15, 2013
- Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status
- Recipients of Fulbright Scholarships within the past 5 years will not be considered
Please note: A candidate with recent third-country experience may have a less compelling need for the Fulbright Program than a candidate who has never had a significant professional stay abroad.
List of eligible fields from which Embassies/Commissions may choose to target in order to match country priorities.
The application process must be completed online and must include the following supporting documents:
- Detailed program plan
- Detailed personal statements
- Two (2) letters of reference (must use Humphrey application forms)
Online application forms can be found at Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program website.
Additional documents must be sent by registered mail and received by August 8, 2014, and must include:
- Certified transcript(s) with a certified English language translation
- Certified copy of diploma(s) and certified English language translation
- Copy of the first page of BiH passport
- Curriculum vitae
Please mail to:
American Embassy Sarajevo, Office of Public Affairs
Attn: Academic Exchange Coordinator
1 Robert C. Frasure Street, 71000 Sarajevo
--------------------------------- I M P O R T A N T --------------------------------
Only complete applications (with all supporting documents listed above) will be considered for the program. Incomplete applications will be returned to applicants.
Terms and Conditions:
The Humphrey Fellowship provides: international travel, tuition and university fees, accident/sickness coverage, monthly maintenance allowance and funding for books and professional activities. The Humphrey Program does not provide financial support for accompanying dependents.
*Note: The program is not a degree program, but rather is designed to provide broad professional enrichment through a combination of activities tailored to each Fellow's interests. All Fellows participate in workshops and conferences that provide interaction with leaders from U.S. federal, state, and local governments, multinational organizations and the private sector.
For additional information about The Hubert H. Humphrey Program,
please contact the Academic Exchange Coordinator via Email: email@example.com or Tel: 033-704-066.