The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
The Embassy of the United States of America to Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) is pleased to announce the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program competition for the 2017-2018 academic year. A Fulbright exchange activity, the Fellowship brings accomplished professionals at a midpoint in their careers from designated countries around the world to the United States for an academic year of non-degree, graduate-level academic course work, and professional development activities. The Humphrey Program also emphasizes the mutual exchange of knowledge and understanding about issues of common concern to the U.S. and Fellows’ home countries. The Fellowship was initiated to honor the memory and the accomplishments of the late Senator and Vice-President, Hubert H. Humphrey.
Apply online for the 2017-2018 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program by July 3, 2016.
The program offers valuable opportunities for leadership development and professional engagement with Americans and their counterparts from many nations through selected non-degree, university courses, attending conferences, networking, and practical work experiences. Fellows are also expected to engage in professional development activities outside of their university campus, attending conferences and seminars, and completing a six-week professional affiliation requirement. If you are interested in broadening your perspectives, working with others, and becoming a global leader, the Humphrey Fellowship is for you.
Fellowships are granted competitively to young and mid-career professionals with a commitment to public service in the public or private sector, a proven track record of leadership, a strong desire to effect change in their workplace and community, and the capacity to take full advantage of a self-defined program of independent, non-degree study at a leading U.S. university for eligible fields of study.
The Humphrey Fellowship provides: international travel, tuition and university fees, accident/sickness coverage, monthly maintenance allowance, and funding for books and professional activities. The Humphrey Program does not provide financial support for accompanying dependents. Fellows must comply with program provisions to avoid grant revocation, termination, or suspension.
Candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, status as a parent, protected genetic information, or sexual orientation. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. A candidate with recent third-country experience, especially in developed countries, may have a less compelling need for the Humphrey program than a candidate who has never had a significant professional opportunity abroad. Excluding minor traffic violations, a candidate who, at the time of the application, or at any subsequent time prior to or after becoming a grantee as defined by program provisions, has been convicted, arrested for, or charged with a crime—and the matter has not been resolved—must inform the Embassy’s Academic Exchange Coordinator and/or program coordinators in writing of such fact.
The Humphrey Program is open to anyone who is/has:
- Citizen, national of BiH, or permanent resident qualified to hold a valid BiH passport
- Completed undergraduate education (first university) and has a bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- A minimum of five years of full-time professional experience in the relevant field beyond attainment of a first university/undergraduate degree prior to August 2017
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service
- Limited prior experience in the United States
- English language ability (finalists only must take the TOEFL exam)
- Cleared by a physician to participate in the program (finalists only)
- Eligible to receive and maintain the exchange visitor (J-1) non-immigrant visa required for the program
- Committed to returning to BiH for a minimum of two years.
- Recent university candidates (even if they have significant positions)
- Candidates with dual U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status
- Teachers/scientists/researchers with no management or policy responsibilities (except in the fields of Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment and Teaching of English as a Foreign Language)
- Candidates who have attended graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to August 2017
- Candidates who have had recent U.S. experience of over six months during the five years prior to August 2017.
Interested applicants must apply to the U.S. Embassy Sarajevo using the official online Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program application form. After national selection, final nominations are reviewed in the United States by independent review committees. These review committees make recommendations to the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board. Awards for Fellows are scheduled to be announced by the end of March 2017.
The online application must include the following supporting documents:
- Detailed program plan
- Detailed personal statements
- Two letters of recommendation (via mail or via the online application system)
- Copies of all post-secondary and university degrees and academic transcripts (finalists only must provide official records with certified English translation)
- Report on English Proficiency form (via mail or via the online application system)
- Copy of BiH passport biographical page.
For more information regarding the program, please visit the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program website.
------------------------------- I M P O R T A N T -----------------------------
Only complete applications will be considered for the program.
For additional information, please contact the Academic Exchange Coordinator via email: email@example.com or tel: 033-704-066. Please contact us if able to submit a paper based application only.
Embark Online Official Application
The Humphrey Program is a Fulbright exchange activity, primarily funded by the United States Department of State and administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE).
Humphrey Fellowship Fields of Study (PDF 130kB)
Humphrey Fellowship Brochure (PDF 697kB)
Humphrey Fellowship Frequently Asked Questions
Stay connected with Humphrey:
Facebook | LinkedIn | YouTube
Learn more at ECA Exchange Programs website.